The Tower

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Tower

Post  Mr. Tower on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:55 pm

Do you have any idea of how a modern city would look if every house was as defensible as yours?

I actually don't think it would be a dramatic difference. Better window placement, thick doors that open outwards from strong frames, most of these things could be done to existing homes without much noticeable effect. Many commercial buildings already are built this way.

Overall the tower looks the way it does because of aesthetic and financial choices more than defensive ones.
Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phase 2

Post  Mr. Tower on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:27 am

Finally, we are beginning to catch up to current events.

Nearly two years ago The Lady finished school, got a good job and moved into the tower full time.

Immediately this did two things, vastly increase the available money for construction and increase the need for more space.

The Tower was never meant to be the end all and be all of my plans but only a starting point. As such it has served very well but with changing circumstances came changing needs and at long last it was time to begin Phase 2 of the master plan.

In short, the plan is to replace the open bridge to the upper terrace with a 16x12" enclosed room that will link The Tower with the eventual Phase 3 second tower (still in the early stages of design) The Lady and I spent most of winter 2011 designing this Phase 2 addition and deciding what would go in it. At first it was to be a workroom/armory but as we thought more about it what made the most sense was to move the still unfinished kitchen out from the bottom floor of The Tower and into the proposed addition and to convert the current kitchen into a workroom/bathroom area. This would both give us a new kitchen and make it easier to finish the existing first floor room since once the kitchen is moved out of it the room will be empty and much easier to renovate.

So, we planed, we saved and in the spring of 2012, shortly after construction of the bee fortress, I began construction of the Phase 2 addition. With more money, less time and more stringent design restrictions this addition would be built using more or less conventional methods while maintaining the same aesthetic as The Tower proper.

In essence you can think of this as a covered bridge. With no lower story and spanning uneven ground the structure had to stretch the entire distance between the tower and the upper terrace in one span with no intermediate supports. As well as supporting itself and its contents (the proverbial kitchen sink) Phase 2 will also include more water storage tanks, increasing the water supply from 55 gallons to 165 (1300lbs of weight) as well as removing the water tank from its currently location on The Lady's side of the bedroom.

As such, the framing was massive, two 8x12" wooden trusses with 2x10" floor joists. The supports on the tower side where a pair of massive 24" diameter logs that I skidded out of the forest with my pickup truck the previous year, the victims of a freak windstorm that toppled over a hundred trees on the back side of the hill.

As part of Phase 2 a small deck would be built from a postern door that would connect directly to the bee fortress, improving overall defensibility and convenance

To put things in prospective, Phase 2 with its conventional building materials will eventually cost as much by itself as the entire original tower.

Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top