Novaltia: A Neo-Victoian Micro-nation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Novaltia: A Neo-Victoian Micro-nation

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 pm

I'm not sure if anyone on this forum is familiar with Novaltia, but I recently stumbled across this micro-nation and was struck with equal parts of bemusement and amusement by the concept. They give a much more detailed and thorough explanation on the site, but it was advertised to me as the creation of a Neo-Victorian state. While this isn't exactly steampunk, it seems a mite closer to embodying the lifestyle than much of what I see currently.

Has anyone heard of Novaltia, is a citizen, or has any thoughts about their enterprise?

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Novaltia: A Neo-Victoian Micro-nation

Post  Mr. Tower on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Fascinating...

No I had not heard of it before. Its a very interesting idea but disturbingly, (to me at least) is the requirement for all citizens to be members of the The Church of Novalita and the undertones of extreme conservatism that seem to run in their writings, to say nothing of racisim. (they allow no one of none European decent 'in' the country)

And oddly enough, where is this place? There isn't even a wikpedia entry on it, which is pretty amazing considering that there is a wikipedia entry on almost everything. Even in general web search I can't find any information that is not on the main website. Honestly, its hard to be sure if this is even real or a hoax.

That being said, I wish them the best of luck. Readying the website reminds me a lot of the fictional nation of Rapture from the game Bioshock. Even though that collapsed into a dystopian nightmare it left behind an interesting setting. Perhaps one day we can travel to mutant haunted ruins of Novalita and explore what they left behind.

It reminds me a little of idea of a west coast nation state called Jefferson that never came to pass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(Pacific_state)

And honestly the proposed Nation of Cascadia sounds more appealing:

There are several reasons why the Cascadia movement aims to foster connections and a sense of place within the Northwest region and strive towards independence. The main reasons stated by the movement include environmentalism, bioregionalism,[6] regional integration and urban planning, a dedication to open source, dynamic and associative governing models, an expansion of civil liberties, freedoms, digital privacy and a dissatisfaction with governments in the eastern part of the continent that continue to become more impersonal, secretive and non-representative, a strengthened social safety net, fiscal responsibility, and a strong devotion to human rights.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_(independence_movement)
Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 am

Mr. Tower, you have nailed the concerns I have about Novaltia on the head quite succinctly. The racism and necessary participation in the Church will bar me from ever considering becoming a citizen (assuming that they actually have a physical location rather than just a virtual capital), but what concerns me the most is the lack of economic viability. If anything, the micro-nation reminds me of the Neo-Victorians of "The Diamond Age" sans nano-tech and post-scarcity economy.

But where does the money come from to support the aesthetic they want to have? High quality, hand crafted (I assume) finery costs money and resources. They claim that they want to be economically self sufficient, but I don't see how that is possible as a micro nation. Most of the pictures on the site depict the wealthy Victorians which needed the whole subset of farmers and factory workers to create that lifestyle. It sounds like they are trying to create a society of maybe the 10% without the rest of the 90%.

Also, their education system, while interesting and innovative (frankly, I wouldn't mind being educated in it) doesn't seem sustainable either. Tutors are government employed (I assume, from the government issued vouchers) and a right to every family it seems. But how will the government ensure that there are enough high quality tutors? Teaching is a gift like any other talent- not everyone has it. My father is a wonderful teacher, I am a terrible one.

Economic concerns aside, this does raise an interesting question for me: if I am going to create my own nation, do I have the right to restrict who joins it? Or is it mandatory that every nation be open for all?

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  W. S. Marble on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm

(comment deleted)

Last edited by W. S. Marble on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
W. S. Marble
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Ha. I'm sorry, Mr. Marble, but I'm afraid I'm lost at the "two degrees of Paul Ryan" as well. Would you mind explaining?

Also, update about Novaltia, my boyfriend and myself have made an account to become a Denizen of Novaltia and apparently they do not exist in reality. Alas. I would be so interested in seeing how this idea worked in the real world.

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  W. S. Marble on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm

The best answer I can give is that I hereby withdraw my inadequately considered comment. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,
wsm
W. S. Marble
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 pm

No worries, Mr. Marble. No offense was taken in the slightest. Thank you, by the way, for welcoming me to the forum earlier.

Back to Novaltia:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I apologize if anyone's hopes or interests were raised, as mine were, at the prospect of a Neo-Victorian, if not somewhat Steampunk, micro-nation actually existing in this wide world. It is my sad duty to crush those hopes against the cold rocks of reality. After further exploration and considering, Novaltia appears to be nothing more than a fancily-clad forum for people to assume personas and titles a trifle closer, perhaps, to reality than the titles Steampunkers give themselves. Though there are hesitant plans to buy land in some nation, the majority of the site appears to be the intellectual playground of people assigning themselves titles of nobility and knights in this virtual world.

There is nothing wrong with this activity. I think it's great that people are experimenting with new modes of governance and society in the relative safety of the internet. It is also a good lesson for me to not let my excitement in an idea blind me to its probability. Neo-Victorian micronations will just have to wait until nano-tech becomes a) viable and b) not a threat to every living thing's existence.

We can end the thread here, but I wouldn't mind using this as a segueing into a discussion of what governance is possible to promote the most 'steampunk' world.

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Tower on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks for figuring it. I wondered if it would turn out to be something like that.

We can end the thread here, but I wouldn't mind using this as a segueing into a discussion of what governance is possible to promote the most 'steampunk' world.

Good question! and perhaps one that deserves it own thread. Feel free to start one and I'll give the my answer some thought.

Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Shame...

Post  Dr. Hax on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Granted I have put much thought into creating a steampunk nation, and honestly it would be more like the old world then you would think. People today think that old realms are not valid or even something to consider, but there is a reason why cobblestone roads and Victorian houses are still standing today, compared to many buildings made during the 1990's that are condemned and asphalt roads that they created last year that are surpassed in quality by dirt roads... However for an economic model I put much thought into, this due to the fact my family and mother have been studying economics for quite some time, granted that route eventually leads into politics no matter how hard you try to separate them. One system that this current society lacks that the old one had was valid apprenticeships. Back then you learned a skill, a trade, today with modern day gobalism and outsourcing all of this has died, therefore you are left with a system that can not support itself! Jobless recovery? An oxymoron, as much as people hate the ideas of the factories and such, we need them. There is something rather pathetic about our whole societal ordeal... Whoa I got side tracked.

Umm yes the economic system. Basically what I would set up for an economic system is one that is really encourages well trades, Small businesses and having a currency backed up by a gold standard would be a default must, no central banks, and heavily regulated policies on governmental spending, a more primitive conservative government but honestly it ties into the whole simpler older setup. I am not one of those steampunks who look upon the old world with rose tinted glasses. I know the victorian era wasn't as shiny and happy as some of the steampunk community makes it out to be. There was a discussion at one point about how the literally movement seemed to be appraising an imperialistic state. I don't know I've never found any steampunk literature, but it is worth mentioning. But looking back on how it operated and functioned it worked out pretty well. Yes factories enslaved the irish, yes racism existed, but honestly every time has its issues. But what the victorian era has over us is a common sense to it. There's a reason why so much invention sprung up during that time period, why so many businesses started factories bloomed. I'm probably making no sense at all here. All I am trying to say here is I look upon the old world with almost a sense of envy. Yes they didn't have electricity fully implemented, yes there were no cars, yes they didn't have full plumbing yet, but what they did have was a sense of pride and honour, a mindset that seemed to die out some time after ww2. Our society lost it's soul in my honest opinion. Gah I keep on getting side tracked!

Dr. Hax

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top