Not Abby Normal anymore...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not Abby Normal anymore...

Post  The Lady Branwyn on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:17 am

Good to know that they haven't given up on important issues like identifying famous 19th century brains.

Identity of Famous 19th-Century Brain Discovered

I remember learning about Broca's area and Wernicke's area in anatomy and physiology in college. The two forms of aphasia named after those two are also rather fascinating. Brains are just awesome.
The Lady Branwyn
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Not Abby Normal anymore...

Post  W. S. Marble on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:45 am

Carl Sagan's book of the same title is absolutely fascinating, also.
W. S. Marble
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 am

We just finished learning about the brain and the nervous systems in Anatomy and Physiology. It is rediculous how complicated the brain is and how little we actually know about it still.

This is my favorite quote from the article:

"Language, because it was viewed at that time in Europe as a God-given ability in humans, it was considered part of the soul and therefore not material," Lorch said. "This case was the case that really established the whole area of research on functional organization of the brain."

It really makes me wonder if we'll find a section of the brain or a serious of processes that explain Conciousness. Do you think that would be sad or exciting? To feed the Philosophy nerd in me, is a reductionist, materialistic view of ourselves and our souls a good one to strive for? Or should we attempt to keep the wonder of ourselves alive?

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Tower on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:38 am

It really makes me wonder if we'll find a section of the brain or a serious of processes that explain Conciousness.

I think the answer will come from the study of physics and quantum mechanics rather than biology. In the end I think we will see the brain not so much as the source of consciousness but as the bridge between some kind of metaphysical soul and the physical world just as our spine is the bridge between our brain and our bodies.

To use q computer analogy I think the brain is like your personal laptop and your soul is somewhere on the internet. The laptop stores your memory, processes input, contains a camera and microphone and caches websites while you interact with them but of itself takes no independent actions.

This really isn't as crazy as it sounds either. The trigger events that cause neurons to fire in spontaneous thought take place on the quantum scale which is susceptible to some very spooky effects.

This being said, I do not know if the soul can exist without the brain. From observations of people it certainly seems that the brain can exist without the soul however.
Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Evelyn Grey on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 am

That's a really interesting idea. My study of Quantum mechanics has been limited, but what have you heard about neuron's firing on a quantum level?

In that vein:

Quantum Biology Article

Which is terribly exciting and fascinating!

Lady Evelyn Grey
Dabbler
Dabbler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Tower on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

That's a really interesting idea. My study of Quantum mechanics has been limited, but what have you heard about neuron's firing on a quantum level?

Its been a few years since I read the original article but the wiki article has most of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind

"Microtubules have a well established position in conventional biology and neuroscience. Microtubules are the main component of a supportive structure within neurons known as the cytoskeleton. In addition to providing a supportive structure, the known functions of microtubules include transport of molecules including neurotransmitters bound for synapses and control of the development of the cell. Microtubules are composed of tubulin protein dimer subunits. The tubulin dimers each have hydrophobic pockets that are 8 nm apart, and which may contain delocalised pi electrons. Tubulins have other smaller non-polar regions that contain pi electron-rich indole rings separated by only about 2 nm.
Hameroff proposes that these electrons are close enough to become quantum entangled.[10] In the original version of his proposals, Hameroff went on to hypothesise that these electrons could become locked in phase, forming a state known as a Bose-Einstein condensate.[11][12] In his most recent paper,[13] he has amended this to suggest that electrons within the tubulin subunits are part of a Frohlich condensate, which is a coherent oscillation of dipolar molecules.
Furthermore, he proposes that condensates in one neuron could extend to many others via gap junctions between neurons, thus forming a macroscopic quantum feature across an extended area of the brain. When the wave function of this extended condensate collapsed, it was suggested that this could give access to non-computational influences related to mathematical understanding and ultimately conscious experience that are embedded in the geometry of spacetime."
Mr. Tower
Admin

View user profile http://theretort.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top